Fresh herbs are a great compliment to all of the wonderful summer produce that’s out there. Cilantro leaves are a tasty addition that provide some great health benefits, too.
1) Antioxidant properties are wonderful for protecting against degenerative diseases.
2) It’s rich in quercetin, dietary fiber, iron, manganese, magnesium, folic acid, vitamin C, and niacin.
3) Cilantro has anti-anxiety effects, and can help improve sleep.
4) Can lower blood sugar, which is incredibly helpful for people living with or at risk of developing diabetes.
5) Worried about heavy metals in your diet? Cilantro binds to metals, loosening them from tissues and flushing them from the body. This, along with the folic acid content, make cilantro wonderful for pregnant women.
6) Cilantro is a wonderful digestive aid, reducing gas and nausea and aiding in digestion.
Here is one of our favorite recipes using cilantro. This side salad is wonderful with fish tacos or grilled chicken, lean beef, and pork.
Summer Corn Salad
1 c corn kernels
1 c black beans (canned or rehydrated)
1 avocado, diced
1 tomato, diced
Small bunch cilantro, minced
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 lemon, juice
Splash of extra virgin olive oil
1 t Kosher salt
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, squeezing the juice from the 1/2 lemon on top. Mix together and store for at least 1 hour so the flavors blend together, and enjoy.