Did you know that 1 c of cooked pumpkin contains 200% of the RDA of vitamin A for improved eye sight?
- Pumpkin is rich in fiber, and may help weight loss by allowing you to feel fuller for longer
- Pumpkin seeds have heart-healthy phytosterols
- Seeds also contain significant amounts of tryptophan, which may help boost your mood
- Pumpkin meat is chock full of potassium, great for replenishing electrolytes after a workout and maintaining healthy, happy muscles
- Pumpkin meat may also help reduce cancer risk (amino acids), ward off colds (vitamin C), and even help keep skin healthy.
In order to get the benefits of pumpkin, though, you need to keep it as pure as possible. Look for recipes with minimal sugar and fat, and make sure it’s real pumpkin (pumpkin flavoring in the syrup added to a popular autumn treat doesn’t count – sorry).