Nearly 20 million Americans are living with some form of thyroid disorder, and many don’t even realize it. The butterfly-shaped gland in the neck regulates hormone levels, energy levels, body weight, and mental health. When it is over or under productive, a lot can go wrong.
Hyperthyroidism (Overproduction of thyroid hormones)
Increased appetite and weight loss
• Nervousness, excess perspiration, heart palpitations, increased heart rate, higher blood pressure
• Muscle weakness, sometimes with trembling hands
• Lighter or shorter menses
• More frequent bowel movements with occasional diarrhea
Hypothyroidism (Underproduction of thyroid hormones)
• Tingling of numbness in hands
• Increased sensitivity to cold
• Heavy menses
• Dry skin and hair
• Depression and/or slower mental processes
Acupuncture and herbal remedies can help regulate the release of thyroid hormones and restore immune function. It can also regulate energy levels, stabilize emotions, and help manage sleep and menstrual issues. There are also foods that can increase or decrease thyroid hormone production.